- College of Education
- Golden Apple Foundation
Golden Apple Foundation
The College of Education partners with the Golden Apple Foundation to develop and support excellence in teaching across Illinois.
Golden Apple Scholars of Illinois
The Golden Apple Scholars of Illinois is a scholarship program that identifies talented high school seniors, as well as first- and second-year college students who have the promise and drive to be excellent teachers in high-need schools. The Golden Apple Foundation then assists in preparing them for immediate and lasting success in the most challenging teaching environments.
Golden Apple is more than a scholarship program that only awards funding. The Golden Apple Scholars also provides four years of residential summer institutes, which gives on-site classroom experience, as well as mentoring from a Golden Apple teacher. Northern Illinois University is proud to serve as the host of Golden Apple Scholar Institutes 2 and 4 this summer.
For more information, please contact Golden Apple Scholars or fill out our request for information form below.
Golden Apple Accelerators
The Golden Apple Accelerators Program was designed to meet the teacher shortage head-on throughout southern, central and western Illinois by recruiting, preparing and mentoring college seniors and non-educators with bachelor's degrees looking to make a difference in classrooms in their communities.
Participants must be able to commit to working in an Accelerator partner school for four years after completing the program.
- Obtain a teaching license within 15 months.
- Receive a value of up to $25,000 for education, the majority of which will be paid directly to the institution of higher education you are attending.
- One-year residency and training program in a targeted partner school district in southern, central or western Illinois.
- Mentoring in the first years of teaching.
Partnering with NIU
- Participants will earn master's degrees in addition to licensure within a 15-month time frame.
- Our master's program is offered in an online cohort model with customized content specific to the needs of the cohort participants.
- Our dynamic scheduling model encourages shared learning experiences and integrated coursework throughout the program.
- We provide instructional coaching supports throughout our program.
- College seniors attending universities or colleges who are not currently on a teaching pathway.
- Career-changers who hold bachelor's degrees.
To apply to this program, please access the application form on the Golden Apple Accelerators website.
Information Request Form
College of Education