- College of Education
- About the College
- Rankings and Recognition
Rankings and Recognition
NIU's College of Education continues the institution's 100-year history of preparing professional educators for the region and nation. There are over 54,000 College of Education alumni, and over 67 percent live in Illinois. One of every five superintendents in Illinois is an NIU graduate, one out of every nine principals in Illinois is an NIU graduate and one out of every 16 teachers in Illinois is an NIU graduate.
College of Education Earns National Rankings
U.S. News and World Report
- Best Online Graduate Education Programs: NIU’s College of Education ranks nationally for the 11th consecutive year.
- Best Education Schools: NIU’s College of Education ranks nationally for the third consecutive year.
College of Education Earns Academic Prestige
- The Athletic Training Program at Northern Illinois University is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE), 2001 K Street, NW, Washington, DC, 20006.
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP): Since 1954, the programs in the College of Education have been continuously accredited by CAEP (formerly NCATE), a mark of distinction for meeting national professional standards.
- Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP): Since 1989, the College of Education counseling programs have been accredited by CACREP.
- Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired (AER): Since 1984, the College of Education Vision programs have been accredited by AER.
AwardsThe Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision program in the Department of Counseling and Higher Education received the 2018 NCACES Innovative Counselor Education Program Award. Given by the North Central Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, this award honors an outstanding, innovative and/or unique counseling or counselor education program at an institution in the NCACES region.
School District Partnerships
NIU has five Professional Development School partnerships:
Graham Hall 321
Gabel Hall 138